Château La Mission Haut Brion: History

In 1919, the Woltner family took over the dilapidated estate of La Mission Haut Brion and this represented the watershed for the modern era. Although at the time the wine sold for 1 franc more per bottle than Latour, it was the work of Henri Woltner who came to be known as a ‘wine-maker genius’ who revolutionised the estate post 1921. After the death of Henri in 1974, the estate was run by Francoise Woltner and Francis DeWavrin, daughter and son-in-law of Fernand Woltner. In 1983, the property was acquired by Domaine Clarence Dillon SA, who already owned neighbouring Haut-Brion. Despite sitting opposite each other for centuries with a rich intertwined history, this acquisition represented the first time the two estates fell under the ownership of the same proprietor. Since then, both great estates have gone from strength to strength under the stewardship firstly of Jean-Bernard Delmas and following his departure in 2003 of his son Jean-Philippe Delmas. New equipment and a bottling line were installed in 1996 and a new construction which replaced the previous small cellars was opened in 2007. Today the grand estates are still owned by the Dillon family and are represented by Prince Robert of Luxembourg.