Château Angélus: History

Château Angélus has been owned by the same family for over a hundred years and to get a grasp of history of the estate, one must understand the Boüard de Laforest family- whose ancestry has been rooted in Bordeaux for more than 600 years. Following the acquisition of the estate in 1909, neighbouring vineyards were gradually assimilated from Clos D’Angélus in 1924, and again in 1969 when lands from Beauséjour-Bécot were added to the property, bringing the Angélus vinyward to a total of 23.4 hectares. The arrival of newly-qualified oenologist Hubert de Boüard in 1976 was an important milestone. Having studied under the famed Emile Peynaud, he was able to bring his expertise to bear on the fortunes of the estate. Hubert assumed full control of the estate in 1985, but to this day he supplements his expertise through consultation with external oenologists on best practices for his vineyards, including Michel Rolland, who has a great influence here.