History

One of the most respected estates in Puligny-Montrachet and indeed perhaps the most famed white wine maker in Burgundy, Domaine Leflaive dates back to 1717 with the Le Flayve family. Subsequent generations of the family we now know as Leflaive accumulated a significant number of holdings around the appellation, but due to bewildering inheritance laws, the holdings had to be divided between siblings upon the death of each owner. Come the turn of the 20th century, the estate had been reduced to just two hectares.

It wasn’t until 1920 when Joseph Laflaive took the reins that the estate began to take the shape it does today. Despite a career as a navel engineer (where he helped design the first French submarine), he began buying up parcels of vines, replanting his own and bottling under his own label instead of selling fruit to negociants. By the time he passed away in 1953, the estate comprised 20 hectares of vineyard.

The estate was then taken over by Joseph’s sons Joseph and Vincent, and the domaine was given a company structure to avoid splitting it up with subsequent inheritance. During this period the business flourished, establishing itself as one of the top white wine producers not only in the region, but in all of Burgundy.

In 1990, Vincent’s daughter Anne-Claude and her cousin Olivier took over, and while Olivier focused his efforts on his own negociant business, Anne-Claude – named Winemaker’s Winemaker 2014 – threw herself into Domaine Leflaive, pursuing a new, biodynamic approach to winemaking and fortifying the estate’s reputation as one of the best in France.